Coconut-crusted Haddock Fingers and Mushy Peas
24th May 2017
I love making fish fingers for the whole family since every member will eat them with little complaint. I’m always looking for new ways to make them and the coconut in this recipe gives this classic a whole new twist, as it gives the fish a slightly sweetened note and even more crunch. Mushy peas are one of my all-time favourite foods, so I’m happy to dollop a large portion of them next to this sublime fish dish. This whole meal takes no time at all to make. Whip it up and enjoy every bite!
- 400g frozen peas
- Small handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- Grated zest of ½ unwaxed lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 60g fresh breadcrumbs, gluten-free if you prefer
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 100g rice flour or corn flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 500g skinless and boneless haddock fillet
- 4 tbsp coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- Mayonnaise, to serve
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the peas to a pan of boiling water and cook for 4 minutes until completely tender. Drain the peas, then add them to a bowl together with the parsley, lemon zest and olive oil. Combine and roughly mash the peas with a fork (or use a food processor). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the desiccated coconut and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Cut the haddock into 16 2 x 7cm fingers. Coat each finger in the flour, then dip into the beaten egg and finally roll in the breadcrumb mixture until evenly covered on all sides. Set aside on a plate while you finish the rest.
- Add the coconut oil or sunflower oil to a pan and place over a medium heat. Add the haddock fingers and fry for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until crisp, golden and cooked through.
- Divide the mushy peas between the plates, top with the fish fingers, scatter over some parsley and drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil, if you like. Serve immediately with the lemon wedges and mayonnaise to dunk into.