Fried Asparagus and Courgette Chip Salad
24th May 2017
This is great as a quick lunch or a lovely side dish, or as a big serving platter for a group of guests. I started breadcrumb-coating every vegetable in sight once I had kids, in an attempt to get them eating more veg. The Parmesan gives these veggie sticks loads of dreamy flavour and crunch, with the added bonus of getting a whole lot of green goodness into your diet.
- 1 courgette, topped and tailed
- 60g breadcrumbs (gluten-free if you prefer)
- 35g grated Parmesan cheese, or nutritional yeast, plus extra to serve
- 100g asparagus spears
- 50g white spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 80g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g rocket
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Halve the courgette lengthways and slice into 1cm thick strips
- Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast in a bowl. Dip the asparagus and courgette strips into the flour, followed by the beaten egg and then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the courgette and asparagus in batches, and fry for 2–3 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden. Remove to a piece of kitchen paper.
- Combine the tomatoes, rocket, courgette and asparagus. Sprinkle over a little more Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.